Happy Onam to all Keralites!!
Onam is a state festival of Kerala.Today is Thiruvonam, the main day of the festival.There are lot of things associated with Onam. Among them Onasadya (feast) has an important role. Sadya will serve in banana leaf and consists of around 26 dishes. Payasam is one among them. It can be any type of pradhaman,Parippu payasam,semiya payasam,pal payasam etc. Today I would like to share the recipe of pazham pradhaman or banana payasam. This is a popular dessert served in traditional Kerala sadya. From the varieties of bananas, ripe plantain is used for this.
- Ripe plantain(ethapazham) – 2
- Jaggery syrup – 1 cup
- Thin coconut milk – 1.5 cups
- Thick coconut milk – 1 cup
- Cashew nuts / Raisins – 10-15
- Dry ginger powder – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin powder roasted – 1/4 teaspoon
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Ghee – 2 tablespoon
- Steam the bananas till it is cooked well. Remove the outer skin and split it into two and de-seed them.Mash the bananas to a paste.
- Melt jaggery with 1/4 cup water and remove the impurities by straining.Keep it aside.
- In a heavy bottomed pan add mashed banana paste.Add jaggery syrup into this and cook them on a medium flame by stirring continuously.
- When it becomes thick add ghee and mix well. Add thin coconut milk.Boil till the mix is slightly thick.Stir and cook for few minutes.
- Add thick coconut milk along with cardamom powder and mix well.Do not allow it to boil.Switch off the heat. Sprinkle dry ginger and roasted cumin powder.
- Heat ghee in a pan,fry cashews,raisins(you can add coconut bits also) and add this over the payasam and mix well.Let it rest for a couple of hours so that the payasam turns thicker during this time.