This is a species of Yam, and a tuber vegetable. The tubers are usually in white or purple in color, hence the common name is Purple yam. In Kerala , it is often boiled and consumed like Elephant Yam, Tapioca etc. This has some medicinal values also. Today I’m sharing a vegetarian curry with this which can be served with boiled rice or rice gruel(kanji). After cutting the vegetable, keep it in water to avoid discoloration.
- Purple Yam – 500 gram
- Coconut – 1 cup
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Shallots – 10
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Green chilly – 2
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Red Chilly – 2
- Boil yam in a pressure cooker with green chilly, half of the shallots, little turmeric red chilly powder, curry leaves, salt and water for 4 whistles.
- Grind coconut, cumin seeds, garlic, turmeric powder, little water to a smooth paste.
- Mash the cooked yam with a ladle and add the ground paste with enough water to meet the consistency of curry.
- Boil the curry for some time and adjust the salt. Stir the curry so that it wont stick in the bottom.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan, splutter mustard and add dried red chilly, shallots, curry leaves and 1 tablespoon of coconut. When it becomes light brown, pour it over the curry.
- Close it with a lid to infuse the flavours and serve after some time.