It is a dish made from rice and lentils. It is considered as one of the first solid foods that babies eat. There are different types of khichdis in which I have already shared the vegetable khichdi. Here I have used the basmati rice and moong dal. Both rice and dal soaked in water for half an hour.
- Rice – 2 cups
- Moong dal – 1 cup
- Bay leaves – 2
- Ginger – 1 tablespoon , finely chopped
- Garlic – 1 tablespoon, finely chopped
- Green chilly – 4 , slit
- Red chilly powder – 1/2 teaspoon + 1/4 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Tomatoes – 2, medium
- Coriander leaves – 1/4 cup
- Add soaked rice and dal together in a pan along with 1.5 liter water, turmeric powder, chilly powder, green chillies and salt. Mix everything and cook.
- Heat 2 tablespoon ghee in another pan and add bay leaves and cumin seeds. When it splutters, add chopped ginger and garlic. Saute it well.
- When the garlic lightly browned, add chopped tomatoes and red chilly powder. Cook the tomatoes till it becomes soft.
- Add this seasoning to the cooked dal and rice and mash it well. Add chopped coriander leaves. Add little ghee on top of the khichdi while serving. Serve it with pickle and papad.