Hi readers!! I’m back to my blog after a long vacation. This time our state was not in a peaceful mind, the nature was in a terrific mood, full of floods affected by millions of people. In my hometown the flood was not affected, so I could see the agony of our fellow beings in the news channels only.
I have shared some biriyani recipes before, you can check out that. This is also a similar version, the difference is that here prawns masala is used for layering.
- Basmati rice – 1.5 cups
- Water – 3 cups
- Cardamom & clove – 3 each
- Cinnamon – 1 stick
- Lemon juice – 2 tablespoon
- Prawns – 250 gram, cleaned & deveined
- Onion – 2
- Green chili – 3
- Tomato – 2
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tablespoon
- Yogurt – 1/4 cup
- Chili powder – 2 teaspoon
- Pepper powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Garam masala – 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander leaves – 1 tablespoon, chopped
- Wash and soak the rice in water for 30 minutes and drain the water completely. Boil water with half the quantity of whole masala & keep it aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan, splutter the remaining whole masala and add the rice. Fry the rice for 5 minutes and add the boiled water, lemon juice & salt. Cook till the rice is done and water is completely dried. Spread the rice in a tray & keep aside.
- Marinate the prawns with half of the ginger garlic paste, chilli powder, pepper powder and salt and keep it for 1 hour. Meanwhile grind coriander leaves with a little water & keep it aside.
- Shallow fry the marinated prawns and keep it aside. In the same oil add onions, remaining ginger garlic paste and green chilli. Once onions are fried well, add chopped tomatoes.
- Once the tomatoes are cooked, add yogurt, coriander leaves paste. Once it boils add fried prawns and cook in low flame for 5-6 minutes. Add garam masala and mix well. Cook for 2 more minutes & remove from fire.
- Heat ghee in a pan and fry the cashews & raisins. Remove them from the pan & in the remaining ghee fry the onions till it becomes golden brown. Drain the excess ghee in a paper towel & keep it aside for garnishing.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree 10 minutes . Apply some ghee to a baking dish and put one layer of masala in the dish. On top of that spread some rice and make another layer. Again spread another layer of masala on top of the rice. Repeat the process until the masala and rice is finished. The top layer should be of rice. You can drizzle ghee & sprinkle coriander leaves in between the layers. Cover the dish and bake for 20 minutes
- Garnish with fried cashew, raisins, onions & coriander leaves. Serve hot with pickle, raita & papad.
Note: If you don’t have oven, layer the rice and masala in a greased heavy bottomed vessel and cover it with a tight lid. Heat a thawa, when it is really hot, place the biriyani vessel on top of that. Reduce the heat to the lowest flame & cook for 20-25 mins. Place a pan of boiling water on top of the biriyani vessel at the same time.