Quails are small birds, the meat of quail is very healthy and tasty. Quail eggs are much richer in vitamin B2, iron, potassium, calcium and phosphorus than chicken eggs. There is even a saying in Kerala that 1/2 quail is equal to 1000 chickens. I have tried preparing quails only 2-3 times that too in festive occasions. It is a perfect combination for roti, chapathi, appam kind of things.
- Quail / Kada – 4-6 (Cut into small pieces)
- Onion – 2
- Garlic – 3 bulbs
- Ginger – 1 big piece
- Whole black pepper – 1 tablespoon
- Green chili – 4
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1 tablespoon
- Red chili powder – ½ tablespoon
- Garam masala – ¼ tablespoon
- Crush ginger, garlic and pepper together in a mortar and pestle.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add crushed ginger, garlic, pepper, sliced onion, green chili and curry leaves.
- When the onion turns translucent, reduce the flame and add turmeric powder, coriander powder, and red chili powder.
- Once the raw smell of masala powders gone, add quail pieces and salt. Mix well.
- Cover and cook on medium heat stirring occasionally. Once it is half cooked, add garam masala and cook covered.
- Cook uncovered once it is 3/4th cooked and turn off the fire when it is roasted evenly.