This was my first try on this yummy and delicious cake. Even though I couldn’t make all the cherries in the proper shape, it was really tasty. The cherries in the side got melted in the cake. The idea is that you have to layer the pineapple slices in the baking pan first, on top of that you will pour the batter and bake it. Let’s us see the preparation in detail.
- All purpose flour – 1 cup
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Sugar – 1/4 cup
- Butter – 1/4 cup
- Egg – 1
- Vanilla essence – 1 teaspoon
- Milk – 1/4 cup
- Salt – a pinch
- Butter – 1.5 tablespoon
- Brown sugar – 1/4 cup
- Pineapple slices – 5-6
- Glazed cherries – 6-7
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease and flour a round baking pan.
- Prepare the topping by melting butter in a pan and add brown sugar. As the sugar melts and foams, cook on medium flame for a minute and pour into the baking pan.
- Over this sugar layer, place pineapple slices and in the center of each pineapple slice place a glazed cherry. Keep aside.
- Sieve flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- In another bowl, cream butter and sugar using a hand blender to make a smooth creamy mixture. Add the beaten egg and combine well. Add vanilla essence and combine.
- Fold in the flour mixture little by little alternating with milk. Do not over beat, just fold the dry till there is not trace of any flour.
- Pour batter over the fruit layer. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or till a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Place on a wire rack to cool, slice and serve at room temperature.