A traditional South Indian, especially Kerala dish, which is a part of the feast (sadya) also .This is actually vegetarian dish with lot of vegetables cooked in ground coconut. Vegetables like yam, plantain, carrot, beans, snake gourd, drumstick, pumpkin, cucumber are used in this. Usually it will be in thick consistency. It is a side dish for rice.
- Vegetables – 2 cups , cut lengthwise
- Green chili – 3
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Coconut grated – 1/2 cup
- Cumin seed – 1/2 teaspoon
- Curd – 1/4 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tespoon
- Red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- Shallots – 5
- Clean and cut all the vegetables lengthwise of 1/2 inch thickness.
- Take a pan and add vegetables, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, salt, water and coconut oil. Cover and cook till the vegetables are almost cooked.
- Grind coconut, cumin seed, green chilies, shallots into a coarse paste.
- Add this coconut mixture and beaten curd to the cooked vegetables and cook for few minutes.
- Finally add coconut oil and curry leaves to the vegetable mixture. Keep covered for some time.
Note : Instead of curd you can use raw mango also.