Almost every part of the banana tree is useful in one or other way. This banana bud is very healthy and nutritious. It is loaded with fibre, protein,calcium, iron etc. As it is a rich source of magnesium it acts as an antidepressant. Manages diabetes and anemia.
All banana buds are not edible, if you didn’t clean it properly , the dish will be very bitter in taste. You can prepare it with or without green gram. It is really a good side dish for rice.
- Banana Bud/Vazhakooombu – 1
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Green gram/Cherupayar – 1/2 cup, cooked
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Dry red chilies – 2
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Red chili powder- 1 teaspoon
- Remove 4-5 outer layers of the banana bud and chop it really fine into a vessel with water, salt, oil and turmeric powder.
- In a deep pan, heat some oil and splutter the mustard sees. Add dry red chilies and add in the finely chopped banana bud(after squeezing out the water) and cook covered, at low heat.
- Grind the grated coconut with cumin seeds,red chili powder and garlic.
- When the banana bud is cooked well, add the cooked green gram, coconut mixture , curry leaves and mix well. Check for salt. Cover and cook for a few minutes and turn off.