It is a nutritious and quick vegetarian side dish. This protein rich dish always served with rice or rice gruel (kanji). It is easy to prepare, time is required only for soaking. It is also called cowpea and it is one of the most important food legume.
- Red gram – 1 cup
- Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Green chilly – 1
- Garlic – 2
- Shallots – 3
- Curry leaf -1 sprig
- Red chilly – 2
- Soak red gram for 2 hours. Wash and cook it in a pressure cooker with turmeric powder and salt.
Coarsely grind together coconut , cumin,green chilly, garlic with a pinch of turmeric powder.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter the mustard seeds. Add the red chillies,shallots and curry leaves.
- Add the ground coconut mixture and stir for a minute. Add the cooked gram, mix well and turn off.