A popular Kerala fish stew that’s cooked in coconut milk. You can use Kingfish, Pomfret, Pearl Spot to make this. The blend of coconut milk and spices makes it flavourful and delicious.It is a mild, delicate dish best served with Appam / Idiyappam /Rice / Roti.
- Fish – 500 gram
- Onion – 1
- Ginger – 2 teaspoon
- Green chilies – 2
- Tomato – 1
- spices – (Cardamom – 2, cloves – 2, Cinnamon – 1” stick, bay leaf – 1)
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Thin coconut milk – 1 cup
- Thick coconut milk – 1/2 cup
- Pepper powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Pepper powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Clean, wash the fish and marinate them with the ingredients for 30 minutes. Shallow fry them both sides at medium heat in coconut oil and keep aside.
- In the same pan, pour some more oil and add the whole spices. Stir for one minute and add onion, ginger and green chilies. Stir until onion turns transparent.
- Add the thin coconut milk, sliced tomatoes and enough salt. Bring to boil. Add the shallow fried fish pieces and mix with the gravy.
- Cover and cook until the fish pieces are done. Add the thick coconut milk, pepper powder and curry leaves.
- Mix well and switch off. Serve hot with Appam or Indian breads.