During shopping in last week, from the vegetable market we got a bunch of these brahmi leaves.I was not sure what to do with this.The shopkeeper told that we can make chutney out of this and it is very good for kids. So I searched and got some information about this.It is also known as centella and gotu kola and some referred this as brahmi. But actually brahmi plant is Bacopa. Both these are medicinal herbs and affect the central nervous system.
This small brahmi leaves have amazing medicinal and nutritional values. It is a medicinal herb and has the power to cure many diseases.It has rich amount of vitamins and minerals.It is an excellent brain and nerve stimulant, promotes mental health and helps improves memory,purifies blood,strengthens the immune system.This chutney you can serve as a side dish for rice, dosa and idli.
- Brahmi leaves – 1 cup
- Sesame oil – 1 tablespoon
- Urad dal – 2 tablespoon
- Red chilly – 3
- Shallots – 10
- Tamarind – peas sized ball
- Grated coconut – 2 tablespoon
- Heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds. When it splutters, add urad dal and red chillies.
When urad dal turns golden brown, remove the dal and chillies from the pan and keep it aside.
- In the same pan, add the small onions and saute until it turns transparent. Add the cleaned brahmi leaves and saute on low heat until it wilts and the raw flavor goes.
- Add coconut, salt, tamarind and saute for a few more minutes. Add the dal and red chillies back to the pan and switch off the heat.
- Once it cools, grind it a little coarse with needed salt adding very less water.