This curry is also known as Red Fish Curry or Meen Mulakittathu or Kottayam Fish Curry. It looks very bright , you can adjust the spiciness according to your tolerance level. This is the perfect combination with mashed tapioca or kappa vevichathu. The fish curry tastes better the next day it is prepared. By that time it will absorb the flavours of gambooge, chilly and salt. Gambooge has lot of medicinal values like it reduce cholesterol,increases immunity and control appetite hence it is used for weight loss.
- Fish pieces – 500 gram
- Shallot – 10
- Ginger – 1 tablespoon, crushed
- Garlic – 1 tablespoon, crushed
- Fenugreek – 1/2 teaspoon
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 2 tablespoon
- Coriander powder – 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Gambooge/Kudampuli – 4 pieces
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Soak gambooge in water for 15 minutes.
- Mix the chilly,coriander, turmeric powders in water and make a paste.
- Heat oil in a earthen ware or a pan, splutter mustard and fenugreek. Add crushed ginger, garlic paste and stir for 5 minutes.
- Add small onion , curry leaves and saute till it becomes soft. Add the masala paste, salt and fry till oil starts appearing.
- Add 1.5 cup of water and when it starts boiling add gambooge and fish pieces. Combine well. Rotate the pan to ensure that fish and masala is mixed well.
- Cook till the fish is done and gravy becomes thick.
- Remove from heat and keep covered for at least one hour for the flavors to blend in.