Kappa is the most favourite food among Keralites. This Kappa Beef Biriyani is the most delicious and popular preparation of mashed tapioca and beef masala mixed together. It is a special item served in some of the christian marriage occasions also known as ‘Ellum Kappayum‘.Mainly Beef ribs are used for this preparation. Even though it is called biryani, there is no rice used in this.
- Tapioca / Kappa – 1 kilogram
- Beef – 500 gram
- Turmeric powder – 1 1/4 teaspoon
- Red chilly powder – 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala – 1/2 teaspoon
- Black pepper powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Green chillies – 3
- Onions – 2
- Ginger – a medium piece
- Garlic – 5
- Vinegar – 1.5 teaspoon
- peel the skin of the tapioca and chop it to small pieces. Wash it nicely 2-3 times.
- Boil water and add chopped tapioca pieces along with 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and enough salt and let it boil till the tapioca pieces are nicely cooked.
- Drain the water and mash it using a wooden ladle, make sure that there are no lumps.
- Marinate the beef pieces with 1/2 tsp each turmeric powder,chilly powder, pepper powder, 1.5 tsp vinegar, salt and keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- Pressure cook the beef pieces in a medium flame without adding any water for about 3-4 whistles and wait till the pressure releases automatically.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and when it crackles, add curry leaves followed by crushed ginger and garlic and fry for about a minute.
- Add finely chopped onions and green chilies and saute till onions become soft and translucent.
- Reduce the flame and add 1/2 tsp red chilly powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp garam masala and fry for a minute.
- Add cooked beef pieces along with the water left in the pressure cooker and boil it for 5 minutes.
- Add mashed tapioca pieces and keep on stirring it using a wooden ladle till the beef and the tapioca are well mixed and then remove from the flame.