This is an authentic Kerala vegetarian dish that served with rice or kanji(rice porridge). Usually the smaller size of taro roots are used for this.This taro root curry is prepared with ground coconut and yoghurt. Yoghurt can be replaced with Gambooge / Kudam puli. Preparation is very simple and easy too.
- Chembu / Taro root – 6, small
- Green chillies – 2 , slit
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Chilly powder – 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Kudam puli / Cocum – 2, soaked in warm water
- Pearl onions – 4
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Pearl onions – 3
- Grind the grated coconut along with pearl onions and cumin seeds to a very fine paste.
- Peel the taro roots,wash and cut them into slightly large cubes. Cook them with green chilly,turmeric powder,chilly powder,curry leaves, cocum and salt adding enough water.
- When the taro root pieces are done add the ground coconut paste. Mix well. (you can add 1/2 cup yoghurt instead of cocum now). Cook for 2 minutes until the raw taste of coconut is gone. check for salt and switch off.
- Heat 2 teaspoon of coconut oil in a small pan. Fry pearl onions and curry leaves until onions turn brown. Pour on top of the curry. Close it and keep aside for some time. Serve with kanji / rice.