Rasam is a South Indian soup usually prepared with tomato, tamarind juice and spices. It can be eaten with rice or separately as soup. Rasam has a distinct taste due to its own seasoning ingredients. Garlic pepper rasam is a home remedy for your cough,cold and fever. There are lot of varieties in rasam. Here is a simple and easy recipe which is not using tomatoes.
- Tamarind – lemon size
- Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Hing/Asafoetida – a generous pinch
- Whole red chilli – 2
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
To roast & grind
- Pepper corns – 1 teaspoon
- Jeera / Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Garlic – 1
- Toor dal – 1 tablespoon
- Whole red chilli – 1
- Dry roast the ingredients and grind it to a coarse powder.
- Soak tamarind in water, take thick pulp out of it. Add 1 cup of water to the thick tamarind pulp and let it boil till raw smell of tamarind leaves.
- Add the ground powder and let it boil for 2 mins (don’t boil it for more time). Add required salt.
- Heat a kadai with oil and add mustard,red chilly,curry leaves and asafoetida. When it splutters transfer to the boiling rasam.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and switch off.