Happy Independence day to all Indians!!
Cutlets are always a favourite snack for everyone, whether it is veg or nonveg. For both the options only the main ingredient will be different, rest of them will be mashed potato,bread crumbs and so on. You can either shallow fry or deep fry these in oil. I have tried both the options. For nonveg cutlets, for coating we used egg whereas in veg version egg is replaced with maida or corn flour.You can use rusk powder instead of bread crumbs. To make bread crumbs at home , take few slices of bread and toast it in a pan or toaster and powder it in a blender. Again put this powder in the pan and heat for some time. You will get dry and crispy crumbs.
- Vegetables – 1 cup (chopped carrot,beans,green peas,beetroot)
- Potato – 2
- Onion – 1
- Green chilly – 2
- Ginger & garlic – 1 teaspoon each
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- Fennel powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Garam masala – 1/2 teaspoon
- Pepper powder – 1 teaspoon
- Bread crumbs – 1 cup
- Plain flour – 3 tablespoon
- Boil and mash the potatoes. Let it cool completely.
- Heat oil in a wide pan. Add the finely chopped onion and saute till it becomes soft and starts browning.
- Add finely chopped ginger, garlic,green chilly and curry leaves.Cook till the raw smell goes.
- Add all the masala powders and mix well. Cook for another 2 mins. Add the chopped veggies,coriander leaves and salt, mix well. Combine and cook on low flame.
- Let the veggie mix cool completely. Add the mashed potatoes to this and mix well.Make sure that there are no lumps.
- Take small portion and make a ball out of it and spread it using your palm to make the cutlet shape.
- Make a medium thick paste with plain flour and water. Dip the shaped cutlets in this batter and roll in bread crumbs.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium flame. When the oil is hot add the cutlets and fry till it is golden in colour. Drain on a paper towel & serve hot with tomato ketchup.