It is also called Valsan/Elayappam. A traditional Kerala dish made with rice flour, coconut-jaggery filling and then steamed wrapped in banana leaf or Indian bay leaf(Vayana ila) . It is a very healthy and tasty dish and of course one of the favourites among malayalees. You can have it as an evening snack or morning breakfast. When I got a banana leaf, the first thing came across my mind was this special snack. Here I have used wheat flour instead of rice flour. The same dough you can use for making sweet dumplings/Kozhukkatta. For a variation ripe jack fruit also used in the filling.
- Wheat Flour – 1 cup
- Salt- 1 pinch
- Banana leaves- cut into rectangles
- Boiling water- as required
- Cardamon powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Grated Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Grated Jaggery – 1/4 cup
- Mix coconut, jaggery and cardamom powder with hands until well combined.
- In a large mixing bowl ,add wheat flour and salt. Pour boiling water and mix well using a wooden spatula.Allow this to cool slightly and knead well to form a soft dough.
- Take a lemon sized portion of the dough and place it onto a piece of banana leaf and flatten it using your finger tips to form a thin and even layer of dough on it.
- Spread the filling onto the dough and fold the leaf in half and press the sides gently to seal the edges.
- Place it in a steamer/idly cooker and steam it for 10 minutes.Allow it to cool slightly before serving.