A popular drink in Kerala which can be found in almost every juice shops. Nowadays it is available in Kerala restaurants also.It is a spiced shaken lemonade with basil seeds which is a perfect summer drink.All ingredients put into a tall glass and then it is covered with another glass and is shaken in a cocktail style and served.Hence it is called as ‘Kulukki Sarbath’.
Do you know the amazing benefits of basil seeds? It is commonly used in sharbat and falooda. Basil seeds lowers body heat that’s why it is one of the important ingredients in cool drinks. It can be used to treat digestion problems,for acidity problems since it has cooling and soothing effects on the stomach. Basil seeds are also known as sabja seeds,sweet basil seeds. Dont get confused with Chia seeds, it is different. Also these are the seeds of sweet basil not the holy basil.
- Basil seeds/Sabja seeds – 2 teaspoon
- Lemon – 1, big
- Ginger – 1 teaspoon
- Green chilies – 2
- Cold water – 1 cup
- Sugar / Sugar syrup – to taste
- Soak basil seeds in water for about 10 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- In a shaker /glass jar add soaked basil seeds,lime juice,crushed ginger,splitted green chilies,water and sugar.
- Shake well for about 1 minute.(This is main part of this drink).
- Add a lemon wedge and ice cubes. Serve immediately.
Note : For a variation, you can also add mint leaves / chopped pineapple.