Idli is a popular and traditional south Indian breakfast. Since it is a steamed food, idli is considered as a healthy option for breakfast.I usually use the store bought ready made batter for preparing dosa/idlis. The batter you can make at home and keep it in refrigerator for 4-5 days.The lentil and rice ratio will be 1:3 for making the batter.
- Idli rice – 3 cups
- Urad dal /Uzhunnu parippu – 1 cup
- Cooked rice – 1/2 cup
- Fenugreek Seeds – 1 tsp
- Wash and soak the rice for about 4-6 hrs. Wash and soak the urad dal along with the fenugreek seeds for 2-4 hrs.
- Drain the water from the dal and grind to a smooth paste until fluffy, adding cold water little by little. Keep it in a big vessel.
- Grind the soaked rice with enough water. When it is half done, add the cooked rice.Add the rice batter to the dal batter in the vessel and mix it well.
- Cover and keep it overnight to ferment. Next day add salt and mix properly.
- Grease the idli mould with little oil.Heat Idli pot with 2 cups of water,pour the batter to idli mould and keep it in the pot.Cover it with lid and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with chutney or Sambar.