A very popular South Indian variety rice, which is simple and easy to make. Lemon juice gives a very refreshing and tangy flavor to the rice. It is an option for quick meals preparation.Here i have used basmati rice.You can also make it with leftover rice. If you want to keep homely food during a travel,especially in train journeys this would be great option. You can eaten either alone or with yogurt, raita, chutney.
- Rice – 1 cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Sesame oil – 1 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafoetida – 1/2 teaspoon
- Whole red chilly – 2
- Green chilly – 1, sliced
- Urad dal / black lentil – 1 tablespoon
- Peanuts – 2 tablespoon
- Lemon juice – 1/4 cup
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Wash the rice and soak it for 15 minutes.
- Drain the rice and put it into the saucepan. Add water, oil, and salt and bring to a boil. Once the water starts to boil reduce the heat to low and cover the pan.
- Cook until the rice is tender and the water has evaporated. Turn off the heat and fluff the rice with a fork.
- Heat oil in a frying pan on medium heat; stir-fry the peanuts for about 2 minutes until peanuts changes the color to light brown.
- Take out peanuts from the oil and add mustard seeds, When it splutters add red chilly, curry leaves, and green chilly, and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the urad dal, stir-fry for a minute. Add turmeric, asafoetida and mix it well.
- Add the cooked rice, peanuts and sprinkle salt and lemon juice over the rice.
- Mix gently, making sure do not break the rice and stir-fry for 2 minutes.