.I think you all know that how nutritious is these leaves. You must be aware of how healthy is drumstick and its leaves. It increases the immunity and an excellent source of protein, iron, vitamins and minerals.It is one of the powerful health enhancing plant as it contains tons of health benefits. Leaves are a natural energy booster and is sustainable energy as it is not based on sugar.In short drumstick leaves are a power house of nutritional values. This is a typical Kerala side dish used with rice. Very easy to prepare also.
One more thing i want to share, in Kerala it is believed that you are not supposed to eat drumstick leaves during mid of July and August. The malayalam month ‘Karkkidakam’ falls in this time. This is the monsoon time and rains don’t seem to stop at all. Drumstick trees were traditionally planted near open wells. It has the ability to suck lot of water along with other toxins and store it in its trunk. Chances are that during this time, the toxins would be released into its leaves.So elders and ayurvedic practioners would suggest not consuming drumstick leaves during this time of the year.
- Drumstick leaves – a small bunch
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Shallots – 4
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Dry red chilly – 2
- Shallots – 2
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Grind coconut with turmeric powder, shallots and cumin seeds and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan,splutter mustard seeds, add shallots,red chilly and then drumstick leaves to it and saute it well.
- Add the ground paste with water. Just heat it, don’t make it boil. Switch off the flame.