I am so glad to have the guest post by Rhythm of Ritz’s Flavours. She is from Gujarat residing in Singapore with family. Cooking, Travelling,Photography are some of her passions.She is a friendly and caring person. I love her blog which has lot of varieties of vegetarian recipes. I liked her Vanilla Ice cream and Pineapple Rice very much.She is a dedicated blogger who updates her blog almost every other day, also when a fellow blogger posts a recipe she always stops by to read and comment. You can follow her at
It is a honour to have you here, Rhythm. Hearty Welcome to my space!
Over to Rhythm..
It is my first experience writing a “Guest Post” and am very excited. Thanks a lot Anu Yalo, She is a dear friend who has a passion for Kerala Cuisine and has a spread of delicious dishes on her blog Taste Buds. If you have not seen her work yet, take this opportunity to visit her.
I was a little confused at the beginning as to what to share, after a bit of thinking I am sharing my all-time favourite snack “Handwo”.
“Handwo – Savoury vegetable cake”, is a non-fried appetizer of Gujarati cuisine. To make Instant Handwo I always use “Course” Rawa/Suji/Semolina instead of fine variety mix it along with Gram flour, Curd, Vegetable and spices. Add the mixture to a deep non-stick pan along with tempering of mustard seeds, sesame seeds and curry leaves.
We can also use fresh fenugreek ( Methi ) in place of vegetable to make Handwo.
Once it is cooked on one side we need to flip it over and cook other side, I have learned this technique from my mother. Place a plate on the pan then flip it over slowly so the uncooked side would face down, slide it inside the pan and cook again. Repeat the same process once cooked both side. To explain it better I have attached pictures showing the process in preparation.
For the complete recipe, Let us go over to Anu’s .
1 cup Semolina/Rawa/Suji
¼ cup Gram Flour/Besan
½ cup curd
½ bottle guard grated
½ carrot grated
1 big onion grated
2 small potatoes grated
2 table spoons Ginger garlic grated
1 table spoon Green chilli paste (Adjust to taste)
1 table spoon oil
1 tea spoon of sugar
Salt to taste
¾ table spoon red chilli powder (Adjust to taste)
1 table spoon coriander powder
1 table spoon cumin powder
1 tea spoon turmeric powder
1 table spoon lemon juice (Optional)
½ tea spoon baking soda
2 table spoon oil
1 table spoon mustard seeds
2 table spoon sesame seeds
7-8 curry leaves
1. Assemble all the ingredients, Add the Ingredients listed under to Mix in a bowl and give it a mix.
2. Next add all ingredients listed under spices to the mixture, stir it well.
3. We need batter to be thick and not of pouring consistency, mix well if needed add just a little water.
4. In a deep Non Stick pan heat oil, It should grease whole surface add mustard and sesame seeds to it, followed by curry leaves. (Sesame seeds would pop keep the flame on low)
5. Spread the mixture; it should not be too thick or thin, Look at the 1st Picture for reference. If the oil comes up while spreading the mixture it is fine we want that, add more sesame seeds to top layer if you like.
6. Keep the flame low, Cover and let it cook, for about 8-9 Minutes.
7. Mixture will start to leave edge from the pan, take a tooth pick or knife and prick in the center, if it comes out clean it is done.
8. Take it off the flame, cover it with a plate than flip pan so Handwo is in the plate with Uncooked side facing down.
– 1st step
– 2nd step
9. Slide it into pan, cover and cook other side for about 6-7 minutes.
10. Repeat Step 8 and transfer Handwo in serving Plate.