Kadala is chickpeas. Puttu and kadala curry is a popular combo of breakfast in Kerala. It can be prepared in different ways.This curry is prepared with roasted coconut. The curry goes well with appam,dosa,idiyappam and chapathi. The roasted coconut gives a delicious flavor for the gravy. Black chickpeas is a good source of proteins, so it is healthy too.
- Black Chickpeas – 1 cup
- Onion – 1
- Pearl onions – 4, sliced
- Green chilly – 3, slit
- Red chilly powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Dry red chilly – 2
- Curry leaves – A sprig
To roast & grind
- Grated coconut – ¾ cup
- Pearl onion – 2 sliced
- Coriander seeds – 1.5 tablespoon
- Whole spices – (Fennel seeds – ¼ teaspoon, cardamom – 2, cloves – 3, Cinnamon stick – 1, Whole pepper corns – ½ teaspoon, star anise – 1 petal)
- Soak the chickpeas for 6-8 hours and cook in a pressure cooker till soft adding ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder and salt. Drain the water and save it for making gravy.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a pan and add the coriander seeds & whole spices. Saute for a few seconds and add the sliced pearl onions.
- Saute for a minute and add the grated coconut. Roast until it turns reddish brown. Switch off and leave aside. Grind it to a paste when it cools down.
- In a deep pan heat some coconut oil and splutter mustard and brown the dry red chillies.
- Add the sliced onion, pearl onions, green chillies and curry leaves. Saute until they turn light brown.
- Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, saute for a few seconds and add the reserved water from the cooked chickpeas.
- Bring to a boil and add the ground coconut paste and cooked chickpeas. Mix well and cook until the gravy achieves your desired consistency.
Note : If you want you can add coriander powder in step 6 instead of seeds while roasting