It is a quick , healthy and nutritious vegetarian dish prepared with spinach and lentils. This goes well with both rice and roti. Spinach is rich in iron and calcium. It is essential to include green leafy vegetables in your daily food. Always choose fresh and tender leaves for cooking.
- Spinach / Palak – 1 bunch
- Toor Dal – 1/2 cup
- Onion – 1, finely chopped
- Garlic – 1 tablespoon
- Tomato – 1
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Red Chilly powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Ghee – 2 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafoetida/Hing – a pinch
- Whole Red chilly – 1
- Curry leaves – few
- Pressure cook toor dal with turmeric powder and salt upto 4-5 whistles until mushy. Then mash it up with a laddle and set aside.
- Heat ghee and add the items to temper and allow it to splutter.
- Add garlic, onion and saute till golden brown. Then add tomato and saute till raw smell of tomato leaves and is mushy.
- Add the washed and chopped palak to the tempered items. Saute till it shrinks in size.
- Add red chilly powder and transfer this to the cooked dal and give a stir.Allow it to cook for 5 minutes in low flame.
- Allow it for a boil and switch it off as per your required consistency. Serve it with rice and ghee.