A healthy and delicious rice with the tangy flavor of tomatoes.It is very easy to cook also.So tomato rice is quick fix for your lunch/dinner.It would be a good option for kids lunch box also. This is a South Indian style of rice preparation.The best thing is that you don’t need any side dish for this rice. You can have it with papad,raita and pickle.
- Basmati Rice – 1 cup
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 3
- Green chilli – 2
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Red chilly powder – 3/4 teaspoon
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cloves – 2
- Cardamom – 1
- Cinnamon – 1″ piece
- Soak basmati rice for 20 minutes, drain the water completely and cook rice with little salt and 2 cups of water. Transfer and spread it on a plate.
- Heat oil in a pan, add bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon and cardamon. Fry for a few seconds and then add thinly sliced onion.
- Saute till onion become slightly golden brown, add ginger garlic paste and saute for a few more minutes.
- Then add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, chilly powder, green chillies and salt.Cook till tomatoes become mushy.
- Add cooked rice and gently mix to spread the masala onto the rice.Switch off the flame, mix with chopped coriander leaves.Serve with tomato onion raita.
Tomato onion raita
- Chop 1 onion, 1 tomato, 2 green chilies and 2 tbsp coriander leaves.
- Whisk 1/2 cup of curd with salt until smooth.
- Add all chopped ingredients with curd and mix well.