Erissery is another Kerala delicacy and one of the essential dishes in ‘Sadya’. The traditional erissery is prepared with pumpkin and red beans. We can make it using Yam,Raw Banana,Jack fruit,Snake gourd also.It can be served with Kerala red rice,papad and ghee.Papaya is a recommended fruit for diabetics.Here we are using raw papaya.
- Raw papaya – 1, small
- Red beans / Vanpayar – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Green chilly – 2
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Dry red chilly – 2
- Grated coconut – 2 tablespoon
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Chop the raw papaya into ½ inch cubes. Cook the papaya pieces,red beans with turmeric, salt and little water till the papaya turns to soft and tender.Slightly mash the papaya pieces.
- Grind coconut,cumin seeds and green chilly with little water to coarse smooth paste.
- Add this ground coconut paste and mix thoroughly with mashed papaya and adjust the salt.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a pan , add mustard seeds when its starts to splutter, add dry red chillies, grated cocount and curry leaves and fry till they turn golden brown.
- Pour this tempering over the gravy and mix well. Serve it with Rice,papadam and ghee.