Theeyal is a Kerala delicacy. It is made from a mixture of spices consisting of roasted coconut, coriander seeds, dried red chili and fenugreek. All spices are ground to a paste and cooked in tamarind water with vegetables to get a rich gravy and is normally served with rice. Theeyal is included in a traditional sadya menu. We can prepare theeyal using different vegetables.This is prepared using potatoes.
- Potato – 2
- Shallots – 10
- Green chilly – 2, slitted
- Coconut – 1 cup
- Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- Kashmiri chilly – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Fenugreek powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Tamarind – lemon size
- Whole red chilly – 2
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Heat oil in a pan and add grated coconut. fry it till brown. Add coriander, chilly, fenugreek,turmeric powder into this. When it cools, grind the coconut into a fine paste in a mixer.
- Heat oil in a pan and add shallots, green chilly and saute for some time. Add potato pieces , cover it and cook.
- Add tamarind extract, when it boils add ground coconut. Add enough water and salt. Cook for some time in low flame and switch off.
- Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard in oil, add dried red chilly and curry leaves. pour this over the curry.