Pickles are all time favourite for all of us. This raw mango pickle is a Kerala special and it is a part of the ‘Sadya’ or feast. The spicy and tangy flavour makes it more special. the best combination for this pickle is rice gruel(kanji). You can cut the mangoes and keep it overnight, then make it in the next day.So that it will retain its crispiness. Pickle tastes better if you prepare it in gingelly oil.
- Raw mango – 500 gram
- Gingelly oil – 1 tablespoon
- Garlic – 1 tablespoon
- Ginger – 1 tablespoon
- Whole red chilly – 2
- Red chilly powder – 2 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Fenugreek powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Asafoetida – 1/4 teaspoon
- Wash the mango and wipe it well.Cut mango in to very small pieces. Add salt and mix well. Keep it for at least 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds, whole red chilly and curry leaves.
- Add ginger, garlic and roast well till it turns reddish colour. Turn off the fire.
- Add chilly powder, turmeric powder, fenugreek powder and asafoetida. Sauté a while.(If you want you can add water at this time to make it gravy type)
- Transfer mango and mix well with masala. Add salt if needed. Pour vinegar if you want.
- Allow it to cool and store in bottle. Keep it for 2- 3 days then use it.You can refrigerate it to store for long time.