This is one of the easiest payasam you can make with minimum time. Payasam is an essential part for feast and special occasions. It is prepared with roasted vermicelli, milk, sugar and nuts. To make it even more simple I have used condensed milk here that will give a rich and creamy texture. This will be a favorite dessert for kids as well as elders. Let’s see how to prepare it in an easy way.
- Vermicelli – 1 cup
- Milk – 1 litre
- Condensed Milk – 1 tin (diluted in two tins of water)
- Cardamom – 2, crushed
- Raisins – 1 tablespoon
- Cashew nuts- 2 tablespoon
- Heat ghee in a heavy pan. In low heat fry cashew nuts and raisins. Take off heat. Remove them and keep aside.
- In the same ghee, fry vermicelli to light brown. Boil milk, add vermicelli and cook. Add cardamom to the mixture to enable the flavours to infuse into it.
- When the semiya is fully cooked, add the diluted condensed milk to it and keep stirring to ensure it doesn’t settle at the bottom and burn.
- Continue stirring till it reaches the required consistency. Remove from fire. Sprinkle fried cashew and raisins on top.
- If you are not using condensed milk, you will need 2 litres milk, 1/2 cup sugar for 1 cup vermicelli. The milk has to be boiled stirring continuously, till it reduces to 3/4th of the original quantity.
- To bring it to the desired consistency, add water or milk to thin it. Else, keep stirring on low heat to thicken it.