This is also known as ‘Noolputtu’ or string hoppers. A popular breakfast item in Kerala.A healthy option too as it is a steamed food. Idiyappam mould (Sevanazhi) is required to make it in this shape. You can have this with any veg/non veg curry of your choice.
- Roasted rice flour – 1.5 cups
- Boiling water – 1 cup
- Grated coconut – ½ cup
- Ghee – 1/2 teaspoon
- Combine salt , ghee and roasted rice flour . Add boiling water gradually and using a wooden spatula mix the dough. Add water till the dough comes together.
- Using your hands knead together until you get a smooth and soft dough. The dough should not be too tight and it should not be sticky also.
- Grease the top and bottom of idli moulds. Sprinkle the grated coconut on these moulds.
- Take small portions of dough and press each portion through Idiyappam mould onto greased idli moulds.
- Once the water starts boiling in the steamer, place the idli moulds and steam for 10 minutes on medium flame. . Transfer the cooked Idiyappam to a serving plate.
Check the side dish that goes well with Idiyappam