Kurma is a dish consist of meat/vegetables braised in a spiced sauce made with yogurt, cream, nut or seed paste.Usually in vegetable kurma different vegetables and paneer/nuts are used. Here coconut is used as the spice base and a single vegetable is used.This dish goes well with Kerala delicacies like Appam,Idiyappam and chapathi also.
- Cauliflower – 1 small, cut into small florets
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Ginger – 1.5 teaspoon, minced
- Onion – 2
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Chilly powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1.5 teaspoon
- Tomato – 1, finely chopped
- Green chilies – 2, slit
- Garam masala powder – 3/4 teaspoon
- Grated coconut – 1/4 cup
- Cashews – 5, soaked in hot water for 15 minutes
- Poppy seeds – 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Grind coconut along with cashews, poppy seeds and fennel seeds to a fine paste adding little water. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, splutter cumin seeds and then add ginger, onion and little salt. Saute for a few minutes until onion turns transparent.
- Add turmeric, chilly and coriander powder. Saute for a minute and add chopped cauliflower pieces , tomato pieces and slit green chilies. Add salt to taste. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1 cup of hot water. Mix well, cover and cook until cauliflower pieces are tender.
- Add ground coconut paste and cook for 5 minutes. Add garam masala powder, chopped cilantro. Mix well. Switch off when gravy is thick.