Vermicelli/Semiya is a traditional type of pasta similar to spaghetti. Upma is a popular south indian breakfast usually prepared with semolina / Rava. Here vermicelli is used to make the same instead of semolina.
- Vermicelli – 1 cup
- Oil – 2 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – a few
- Green chillies – 2
- Ginger – 1 teaspoon
- Onion– 1
- Carrot – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Water – 1.5 cups
- Ghee -1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- In a wide vessel, add a teaspoon of ghee and toss the vermicelli in a medium flame till golden brown. Keep it aside.
- In a pan, pour oil and add the mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds starts to splutter, add curry leaves, onion, ginger, green chilies.
- Fry till the onions become translucent and add all the vegetables.(you can use peas, beans etc.)
- Add salt, turmeric powder water and cover it with a lid. When the veggies are 3/4th done, add the vermicelli and mix well.
- When water gets evaporated, cover the lid and keep it in simmer flame until the vermicelli becomes soft.