Aloo matar is a North Indian side dish served with roti and chapathi. As the name suggests, the main ingredients are potato and green peas. This is a dry recipe of aloo and matar. Instead of fresh peas you can use frozen also, in that case you don’t have to cook it separately.
- Potato – 3
- Fresh Green peas -1/2 cup
- Onion – 2
- Turmeric powder -1/4 teaspoon
- Coriander powder -2 teaspoon
- Chili powder – 3/4 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder -3/4 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds -1 teaspoon
- Wash, peel the skin and chop potatoes into cubes. Cook peas with a little salt until tender.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds, when it splutters, add chopped onions and curry leaves. Saute onions until transparent.
- Add cubed potatoes, turmeric powder and cook covered on medium flame stirring in between.
- Once the potatoes are half cooked, add salt, coriander powder, chili powder, garam masala powder and cook covered until potatoes become tender.
- Add peas and cook for another 5 minutes until everything gets blended well with the masala.Remove from heat and garnish with coriander leaves.