When your kitchen cabinet is out of veggies, you can try this easy and different side dish for rice. The main ingredient is onion only, alternatively you can use shallots also.
- Shallots – 15 / Onion – 2
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Red chilly powder – 3/4 teaspoon
- Urad dal – 1/2 teaspoon
- Dry Red Chilly – 1
- Mix coconut, chilly and turmeric powder in a bowl and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, when they splutter add urad dal, dry red chilly, curry leaves and saute on a low heat until dal turn light brown.
- Add sliced onion and fry till pink color on a low heat. Add grated coconut mix and salt. Mix all the ingredients.
- Cover with a tight lid and cook on a medium to low heat until done and water dries up. Open the lid and stir well.