Originally vindaloo is a Goan dish with masala. Meat is marinated and cooked in vinegar, gives a tangy flavour and the mild chilly gives a deep red masala. The vindaloo cooks with pork, here I substitute the meat with beef and follows the same procedure.
- Beef – 1 kg
- Onions – 3, chopped
- Tomatoes – 2, chopped
- Chilly powder – 1.5 tablespoon
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 2.5 tablespoon
- Pepper powder – 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds – 2 teaspoon
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Ginger-garlic paste – 2 tablespoon
- Sugar – 2 teaspoon
- Vinegar – 2 tablespoon
- Grind the ingredients to a fine paste. Add this paste to the beef pieces. Add salt and mix well. Keep aside for 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and fry the onions till light brown in color. Add tomatoes and fry till oil separates.
- Add the marinated beef and fry for a minute. Add 1/2 cup of water and mix well. Cover and cook on a low flame till done.
- Once it is cool, open the lid and simmer for 5 minutes, till the gravy is thick.