Potato mezhukkuperatti is a lovely combination with hot rice. I used to make it as a side dish for boiled rice. Here I would like to include two recipes with potato, one is thoran or stir fry and the other one is a roasted version. Since the main ingredient is potato I’m combining two dishes in the same post.
Ingredients (Stir Fry)
- Potato – 4 (sliced into long pieces)
- Dry Red Chilly – 2
- Shallots – 4
- Green Chilly – 2
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Grated Coconut – 1/3 cup
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Mix together Coconut, Turmeric powder and Salt well and keep aside.
- Heat Oil in a pan and splutter mustard Seeds. Add Dry red chilly, shallots, curry leaves and green chilly, fry till it starts to brown.
- Add drained potato and saute for a minute. Add the Coconut mixture and cover it with Potato. Cover and cook till the potato is cooked. Mix everything really well.
- Potatoes – 3
- Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Red chilly powder – ½ teaspoon
- Garam masala powder – ½ teaspoon
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Boil the potatoes till they are just cooked. Peel the potatoes and dice them.
- Heat oil in a pan, crackle the mustard seeds then add the curry leaves and saute.
- Add the diced potatoes, sprinkle all the spice powders, asafoetida and salt. Stir well, so that the masala coats the potatoes well. saute for 5-6 mins on a low flame.
- Stir in between and turn off when it is crispy.