Chicken Dum Biriyani

chicken biriyani

Biriyani is a main course that will definitely takes time to  prepare. So most of us will be preparing it only during any festival occasions. If it is a dum biriyani again it will take time  for the dum. For those who are not familiar with that word, dum is a process of cooking with steam. So we will cook the rice 75%, then steam and cook for the remaining 25%. I usually bake it in oven during the final stage. But in original process, in a heavy-bottomed pot, in which food is sealed and cooked over a slow fire.

For rice

  • Basmati rice – 2 cups
  • Water – 3 cups
  • Ghee – 2 tablespoon
  • Cinnamon – 1″sticks
  • Cloves – 4
  • Pepper corn – 5
  • Bay leaves
  • salt

For chicken

  • Chicken – 1 kg
  • Onion – 2, sliced
  • Tomato – 2, chopped
  • Ginger garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
  • Chilly powder – 3/4 teaspoon
  • Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
  • Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
  • Pepper powder – 1/2 teaspoon
  • Garam masala – 1/2 teaspoon
  • Cinnamon  – 1/2 “stick
  • Fennel seeds – a pinch
  • Cloves – 3
  • Coriander leaves – 2 sprigs
  • Mint leaves – 2 sprigs
  • Curd – 1 tablespoon
  • Oil –  2 tablespoon
  • Salt

To garnish

  • Fried onion – 1
  • Cashews – 1/4 cup (fried)
  • Raisins  – 1/4 cup (fried)
  • Cilantro – 2 sprigs, chopped
  • Mint leaves – 1 sprig, chopped
  • Ghee – 1 teaspoon

Preparation

a) Cooking Rice

  1. Wash and soak the rice for 15-20 minutes. Boil water in a vessel and add salt, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaves, pepper corn.
  2. Heat ghee in a wok and saute the rice for 5 minutes. Add the boiling water mix into it along with mint leaves. Let it cook till the water dries up.

b) Chicken Masala

  1. Marinate chicken with chilly powder, turmeric powder, salt for a minimum half an hour.
  2. Heat oil in a pan and fry the cinnamon,cloves ,fennel seeds and bay leaves. Saute onions till translucent and add ginger garlic paste ,stir till the raw smell disappears.
  3. Add the chopped tomatoes and the spice powders. Add in the chicken, mix well cover and cook for 15 minutes.
  4. Open the lid and cook for another 10 minutes till the gravy thickens ,add the yogurt and cook till the chicken is done. Garnish with coriander and mint leaves.

c) Making Dum

  1. In a heavy-bottomed vessel spread half of the chicken masala in the bottom. Top it with half of the cooked rice. Sprinkle fried onion, cashews, raisins, chopped mint, cilantro.Repeat the same.
  2. Cover tightly with aluminium foil. Heat a large tawa at low heat. Place the biriyani pot and cook for 15  minutes. Switch off. Let it rest unopened for another 10 minutes in the biriyani pot. Mix gently.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.