Poha or flattened rice can be used for making different snacks. I have shared few snacks with the flattened rice. It is called ‘Aval‘ in Malayalam. This is a popular Maharashtrian breakfast recipe. Onions are one of the main ingredients here. So it is called Kanda poha.
- Poha/Aval – 1.5 cup
- Onion – 1, large
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Peanuts – 2 tablespoon
- Green chilly – 1
- Sugar – 1 teaspoon
- Rinse the poha in water till they soften. Dry roast the peanuts in a pan till they become crunchy.
- Add sugar, salt and turmeric powder to the poha and gently mix.
- Heat oil in the pan, splutter the mustard seeds. Add onions and saute them till they become translucent.
- Add curry leaves, green chilies and saute for a minute. Add the roasted peanuts and mix.
- Add the poha , cover and steam it for 2-3 minutes on a low flame. Stir in between.
- Switch off the fire and let the poha remain covered for 1-2 minutes.Sprinkle some lemon juice, coriander leaves and grated coconut.