Breadfruit is a species of flowering tree in jack fruit family. It is known as kadachakka or sheemachakka in Kerala. You can prepare stir fry, theeyal or masala curry kind of dish with this. This is a simple recipe, which is similar to other thoran recipes with diffrent veggies.
- Breadfruit – 1.5 cups (cubed)
- Onion – 1
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Chilly powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 3/4 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder – 1 teaspoon
- Dry red chilies – 2, broken
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Combine the grated coconut with turmeric powder, chilly powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder.
- Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard seeds and fry dry red chilies and curry leaves.
- Add the breadfruit and chopped onion along with the grated coconut mixture. Add enough water and salt. Cook covered at low heat until done. Once its done, open the lid and stir-fry until dry.