Koottu curry is a prominent dish in the traditional Kerala Feast or ‘Sadya’. It is a combination of some vegetables, chick peas and roasted coconut. Even though it is a side dish, this has thick gravy. Here goes the recipe.
- Raw plantain – 2, cubed
- Yam – 1/2 cup, cubed
- Black chickpeas – 1/2 cup, cooked
- Chilly powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Jaggery – 3 tablespoon
- Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Pepper corns – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Dry red chillies – 2
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Grated coconut – 1/4 cup
- Coconut oil – 2 teaspoon
- Soak the chickpeas / black chana in enough water for at least 4-8 hrs. Pressure cook it in enough water adding salt until it is fully done.
- Add the raw plantain, elephant yam, chilly powder, turmeric powder, salt and enough water in a pan and cook till they are done. Add jaggery and mix well.
- Coarsely grind the grated coconut, cumin seeds and pepper corns in a mixer. Add this ground mixture to the cooked vegetables and mix well. Check for salt.
- Cook until the raw taste of coconut is gone. Add the cooked chickpeas to the above mixture. Mix well and cook for 5 minutes. Switch off.
- In another pan add oil, pop mustard seeds, fry dry red chillies, curry leaves, grated coconut. Roast the grated coconut till it is reddish-brown in color. Add the roasted coconut mixture to the curry and mix well.