Paratha is a flatbread, the name refers layers of cooked dough. It can be round, square, triangular shapes. Different types of parathas can be made, only the stuffing varies. This is a plain paratha without any stuffing. Here it is explained how to make square shaped paratha.
- Wheat flour – 2 cups
- Salt – ½ teaspoon
- In a bowl take whole wheat flour. Add salt, 1 tablespoon oil and water. Mix and then knead into a smooth soft dough. Add more water if required while kneading. cover and keep the dough aside for 30 minutes.
- Roll a medium sized ball on a lightly dusted board to a circle of about 4 to 5 inches in diameter and spread some ghee on the rolled dough.
- Bring one side of rolled dough towards the center and press lightly.now spread again some ghee on the folded part. Fold the opposite side of the rolled dough on top of the folded part and press lightly. Again spread some ghee on this second folded part.
- Fold the right side and bring towards the center. Spread some ghee on this fold too. Lastly fold the left side on top of the right fold.
- Sprinkle some flour on the folded paratha and start rolling. Add some more flour if required and roll into a square paratha.
- Heat pan/tava and place the paratha. The tava should be medium hot and you can see the paratha puffing up from the base at some places. Flip the paratha when the base is ¼ cooked. Spread some ghee.
- Flip again when the second side is about ½ cooked. Spread some ghee on this side now. Flip again a couple of times till you see more brown spots and the paratha is cooked evenly. Serve these plain parathas with any curry of your choice.