Usually we prepare ‘Asthram‘ with taro roots. It is great combo with hot rice or rice gruel (kanji). This yam curry also we can use as a side dish for rice, chapati and all. The yam will cook first, then added with ground coconut, finally seasoning with roasted coconut.
- Yam – 250 gram
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Shallot – 2
- Garlic pods – 4
- Red chilly – 1
- Cumin seeds – ¼ teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Grated coconut – 3 tablespoon
- Shallot – 2 (sliced)
- Red chilly – 2 (broken)
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Coconut oil – 1 tablespoon
- Grind coconut with shallot, garlic, red chilly and cumin seeds into a coarse paste.
- Remove the skin, cut yam into pieces and wash well. Cook yam with enough water, turmeric powder and salt in a pressure cooker. When it cooked well then smashes it with a spoon.
- Add the ground paste into it and cook for 2 -3 minutes and remove from heat.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. When it pop up add shallots, curry leaves and red chilly and saute for a minute.
- Add grated coconut and when it becomes light brown color, pour it over the curry.