This is a vegetarian curry preparation with green gram. A perfect side dish for sadya, with the combination of papad and pickle. Green gram should be slightly roasted before cooking it.
- Green gram / cherupayar – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Green chilies – 2
- Garlic – 2
- Dried red chilly – 1
- Pearl onions – 4
- Curry leaves – A few
- Grind grated coconut with cumin seeds, green chilies and garlic to a very fine paste.
- Pressure cook the green gram after slightly roasted, adding turmeric powder,salt and enough water until done. The green gram should be slightly mashed up.
- Add the ground coconut paste, 1 cup hot water and bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes until the curry turns medium thick. The curry will thicken a lot over time so adjust the consistency accordingly and turn off.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds.When it splutters, add red chilly, pearl onions, curry leaves and saute until onion turns brown.Pour this over the curry.