This is a vegetarian curry with elephant yam and moong beans. We usually make stir fry or erissery with yam. This is also a very tasty and healthy recipe from Kerala cuisine. This can be served with rice, chapathi etc.
- Yam – 1 ½ cup (bit size square pieces)
- Moong beans – ¼ cup
- Green chilly – 3
- Turmeric powder – 3/4 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds, crushed – 1 teaspoon
- Garlic clove, crushed – 1
- Grated Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Whole Red chilly – 1
- Curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Wash and cook moong beans with enough green chilly, water and salt. When it is half done add yam pieces.
- Grind coconut with little water, garlic, turmeric and cumin seeds.
- Once yam is cooked, add grind coconut mix to cooked yam along with curry leaves. Boil in medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Heat little oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds and add a red chilly. Switch off flame and put ¼ teaspoon chilly powder in this. Pour it over the prepared yam curry.