Khichdi is a nutritious and popular food from Indian cuisine prepared with rice and lentils. It is simple and healthy main course for your lunch/dinner. NO side dish required, you can serve it with papad and pickle.
- Rice – 1/2 cup
- Toor/Mung dal – 1/4 cup
- Water – 2 1/2 cups
- Onion -1
- Green chilli – 1 slit
- Tomato – 1
- Ginger-garlic paste -1/2 teaspoon
- Potato -1
- Green peas -1/4 cup
- Turmeric powder -1/4 teaspoon
- Chilli powder -1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder -3/4 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Oil/ Ghee – 1 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – 3/4 teaspoon
- Hing – a generous pinch
- Curry leaves – few
- Wash and soak rice and dal for 30 minutes. Wash, peel the skin and cut potato into cubes. Chop onions and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a cooker, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, when they sizzle, add curry leaves and hing. Then add chopped onions and saute until onions turn transparent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for a few more minutes. Add tomato and saute till it becomes soft.Add the chopped potatoes and peas.
- Add turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and saute for 2-3 seconds.
- Add the soaked dal + rice and saute for a few more seconds. Add 2 1/2 cups of water, salt needed and bring it to boil.
- Close and pressure cook for 3 whistles. Once the pressure subsides, open the cooker and mix it gently.
- Heat ghee, add cumin seeds, when it sizzles, add red chili, finely chopped garlic, saute for a few seconds and pour it over the khichdi.