This is an easy and tasty side dish of yam which can be served with rice. Elephant yam usually used for thoran, erissery kind of dishes.
- Chena/Elephant Yam (peeled and cubed) – 2 cups
- Turmeric powder -1/4 teaspoon
- Chili powder -1/2 teaspoon + 1/2 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds -1/4 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Red chilly – 1
- Garlic crushed – 3 cloves
- Shallots (sliced) -1/2 cup
- Pepper powder -1/2 teaspoon
- Thoroughly rinse the cubed yam. Add turmeric powder, chili powder, salt and water to it and cook until done. Do not over cook. Drain well and keep aside.
- .Heat oil in a non stick pan, add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Add curry leaves, garlic, red chilly and shallots and saute until it turns translucent.
- Reduce the flame to low and add remaining chili powder, pepper powder. Saute for a few seconds.
- Add the cooked yam and saute for a few minutes or until it is browned.