Rice flakes / Poha/ Aval can be used for making different snacks. Aval vilayichathu is the most popular among them. It is very healthy and tasty too. You can also make payasam, laddu with this rice flakes. Aval vilayichathu you can store and use for several days. You can serve this with/without banana.
- Aval/Rice flakes – 1 cup
- Jaggery – 1/2 cup, grated
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Ghee – 1 teaspoon
- Cashews – 1 tablespoon
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Roasted gram dal – 1/4 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Heat ghee in a pan and fry roasted gram dal till you get the roasted smell. Roast cashews and coconut bits(if you are using)
- Melt jaggery with water and strain it.
- Add grated coconut to the melted jaggery and cook on low flame. Cook till the jaggery reduces and becomes thick.
- Add rice flakes and roasted ingredients to the coconut jaggery mixture. Cook on low flame for 3-4 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Remove from fire and keep stirring for 2-3 mins. Add crushed cardamom and mix well. Cover and keep for some time. Serve with banana
Note : Store the left-overs in an air tight container. It can be kept for about 1 – 2 weeks in the refrigerator.