Tapioca is a staple food of Kerala. Any dish made of tapioca is a favourite among Keralites. The popular preparations are boiled tapioca and mashed tapioca. The chili chutney or ‘ ‘mulaku chammanthi’ is the best combination for boiled tapioca. This was a breakfast item in the past and now it became an evening snack with black tea.
- Tapioca / Kappa – 2/3 pieces
- De-skin the tapioca and wash well. Cut the tapioca into 2 or 3 portions depending on the length of the tapioca, cut these pieces again in half , wash well again.
- Bring water to boil in a deep bottomed vessel or pan and season with salt and add the tapioca and cook until tapioca is cooked well through.
- Drain the water and serve hot.
- Shallots – 5
- Bird’s eye chili – 10/Green chili – 3
- Tamarind – a small piece
- Coconut oil – 1 tablespoon
- Water – 2 tablespoon
- Crush the shallots, tamarind and chilies using a mortar-pestle until the onion has started to release its juice(you can also pulse the mix in a grinder).
- Add coconut oil, salt, little water and mix everything together.