Traditionally puttu is made of rice flour only, there won’t be any stuffing. But if you add fruits, veg, nonveg stuffings into this it will be more tasty and colourful. Depends on the stuffing used the name of the puttu changes. So here we have used beef masala as the stuffing. Here I’m only describing how to make the masala used for the stuffing, puttu preparation is always the same.
- Beef – 1 cup, minced
- Onion – 1
- Ginger – 1 teaspoon
- Garlic – 1 teaspoon
- Tomato – 1
- Green chilly – 3
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig , chopped
- Coriander powder – 1/2 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Garam masala – 1/2 tablespoon
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tablespoon
- Fennel seeds – 1/4 teaspoon, crushed
- Heat oil in pan and saute onion till brown. Add minced ginger,garlic,green chilly,curry leaves and cook till soft.
- Add all spice powders, fennel and mix well until it gets coated with ingredients. Add tomato and cook till soft.
- Add minced beef , salt and cook for 20 minutes. Once it is done let it cool down.
- In the puttu maker layer coconut,rice flour,beef masala again rice flour and coconut in this order.Steam it for 6-8 minutes in medium heat and remove.
See how to make puttu