This is one of the most common and easy side dish used with rice in Kerala. ‘Moru Kachiyathu’ is usually a default item and almost everyday available in Kerala kitchens. Moru curry and fish fry with boiled rice is more than enough for a simple lunch. You can either use buttermilk or whisked curd mixed with enough water for this curry.
- Buttermilk – 1/2 litre
- Small onion – 4
- Ginger – 2 teaspoon, chopped
- Green chili – 3
- Red chili – 2
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Mustard – 1/4 teaspoon
- Fenugreek – a pinch
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard and fenugreek seeds.
- Add red chili, small onion, ginger, green chili, curry leaves. Fry it for 1-2 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, asafoetida, salt and mix well.
- Add buttermilk and stir. Stir continuously until the steam comes through the spatula. Don’t let it boil.